Sunday, March 22, 2015

Blog Post 4: THE BEGINNING OF THE END

I'll start with some very exciting news... I have finished my final product! All drawing, photography, editing, and music-ing has concluded.

"About time," some of you might be thinking.

Well, I'm planning to upload the video to YouTube on Wednesday night, which is the night before my presentation (what a slacker, right?). This way, the video will be new to most if not all of the audience during my TED talk.

Editing the whole thing was surprisingly quick (albeit monotonous). I had planned out the length of each little clip prior to shooting, and this turned out to be very helpful in the post-production phase. I'll give you an example of one of my plans:

"1 sec: Balloon enters
1 sec: Zoom out, boy is standing
Draw --> 4 sec: Zoom in on boy's face, head turn
1.5 sec: Zoom out... "

And etc... I don't want to give too much away!

I think what I'll do now is post a few pictures and briefly describe some of them. The first picture below shows some cutout sunflowers I used in the second scene (that's the last one I shot). I initially drew these with watercolor markers and scanned them into a computer. After doing so, I printed six of each out and arranged them accordingly on my background.


Next is my uncolored character model sheet for a farmer (also in the second scene). Here, the character doesn't do much except scratch his head and frown/smile. So, I drew individual frames for his facial expressions and designed a sort of "action figure" for the farmer to scratch his head. The figure on the far left is essentially what the figure would look like put together. The figure directly right of that does not have the arm and was to be taped on top of the third figure near the head and the lower body. One arm, which has a sort of extension in order to keep it from falling out, will be placed in between the middle two figures and can freely rotate. I positioned double-sided tape so that the arm could rotate around a "joint", yet I could take the arm out when needed. 


This is a shot of my "movie set" (a.k.a. a small section of my basement) near the end of filming. I've got to say, even with all of the stress it brought, this project was extremely fun. That's right: extremely.


Next, I'll upload some stills from the video to give you guys a closer look before seeing my presentation (if you aren't in the morning classes, I'll post a link to the video in an update soon after my presentation). 




That should be enough until Thursday! Onward...

Now comes another issue... what am I actually going to say for my TED talk? I've already thought out most of my script, and I'm going to try to avoid repeating the content in my blog too much. My current plan is to have a 3-minute presentation and a 1-minute video, as well as some room to breathe and answer questions. I'm going to try my best not to go overtime.

Some topics I may or may not cover are:

- Struggles
- Initial thoughts and their changes
- What I learned
- Application of what I learned
- Stop motion in the movie industry

I have to say I'm a bit nervous. The presentations I've seen so far have been funny (sometimes accidentally... I'm looking at you, Noah), well-organized, and informative; the bar is high, and I have some work to do to reach it. Although my genius project is not a stand-up routine, I think it's necessary to have a few good jokes to loosen up both the audience and myself. Humor will make me less nervous, I think.

One final thing... I need all of your opinions. I've been debating about whether I should include a random joke about McPerlman. It seems that most people are doing it within the first three slides or so. By the time I present, at least 10 presentations will have had some reference to McPerlman, so I might just not put one of those jokes in. Serious stuff, guys.

I look forward to talking to you all on Thursday!



Comments for this blog (not even sure what cycle anymore):

- Kenny (Yellow)
- Jessica (Orange)
- Dani (Orange)




6 comments:

  1. Wait, you didn't include a joke about McPerlman in your stop motion? Jason, I am sorely disappointed in you and missing that opportunity.
    In all seriousness, I have been waiting forever for this video to come out and am extremely excited to hear it's done. I understand that it must have taken you forever to get it all done, and am happy to hear it is.
    Additionally, I would suggest application as a must. I'm sure you're already aware that one of the defining features of a good presentation is usually a sort of call to action, or something that can be applied by the audience later. I figure that you should be able to come up with one if you can come up with one for yourself.
    Good luck for your TED Talk, I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have time to include a McPerlman joke in my presentation. Thanks for the tips and encouragement!

      Delete
  2. This is very impressive. seeing all the frames drawn out and seeing the parts of the people drawn out is very impressive. This project is far beyond anything that I have done in a pack of post-it notes before, which is practically my extent of drawing things out frame by frame, and I think that doing something this huge is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to draw in packs of post-it notes as well! I didn't include that in my first blog post, but it was all part of the build-up to this large project. Maybe you should give it a shot, too! Yours might even turn out better than mine, who knows?

      Delete
  3. I like how you structured this blog post - it reveals just enough of your final product to pique my interest but not too much so I won't have anything to look forward to during your presentation. I'm really excited to see your final stop-motion video, and I'm sure you shall do fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to share it! Now that I review my final product, I think there's a lot of room for improvement. However, as I'm not going to have many chances in the future to give this style of stop motion a shot, I'm absolutely satisfied.

      Delete