Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blog Post 2: BLUEPRINTS

I've been practicing my cartooning, and I think I have found a "style" that I like. Of course, said style must develop in order to incorporate all elements of the animation. Currently, I have a general design for people (it may remind some people of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" from way back when...). I have yet to figure out what the objects will look like, taking background/middleground/foreground into account.

Here is a page of my sketches. I don't want to give too much away, but these designs should be enough to give you all a taste:


***Note: for animation, the right drawing utensil is surprisingly important

As you can see from the picture above, I have an idea of how the scenes of the video will look. For many days, I thought about how to make the drawing process as efficient as possible. For now, my plans involve drawing the background on a long strip of paper and looping back to the beginning of the paper when needed. On that piece of paper, I will place cut-out figures or objects and move them independently. This way, I do not need to "draw" hundreds of frames; instead. I will arrange separate pieces and take photos of the different arrangements. Think of it like Flappy Bird, where there is a bird moving relative to a scrolling background and green pipes.

This presents a few complications. Firstly, I will have to cut out many forms of the same character to show them walking. I showed an example of this in my previous blog post. I will also have to create transitions between two different backgrounds (I have three pictured above). The perspective in a scrolling animation is limited; I will most likely insert close-ups to show more specific actions than walking or moving. This may or may not utilize a traditional frame-by-frame drawing method, in which I do not have independently moving parts.

Here is a cool video that I saw yesterday. While it is not an actual animation, it uses stop motion (and walking animation) extremely well. It was made by the YouTuber Ryan Higa:





While we're on the subject on that video, I should mention its use of actual real-life objects along with images. If convenient, I might incorporate actual objects into my animation as well.

Starting this next week, I will start to draw "test" animations. Perhaps I will draw 20 to 30 frames of simple images and piece them together using various software. I should figure out all the logistical issues before the final video comes together.

Some other things I've been thinking about/working on:

- Background music
- Color scheme
- Shading

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate any comments and feedback very much!

COMMENTS FOR CYCLE 1:
Commented on Brett's/Liliana's/Paul's blogs.

COMMENTS FOR CYCLE 2:
Commented on Felicia's/Christy's (Red class)/Noah's (Red class) blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,
    Your animation is coming along very nicely! It looks like it'll come out great, because those drawings from your attempted videogame are quite good. (By the way, I don't think it was narcissistic at all for you to make a video game about yourself. The video game industry is saturated with inappropriate games, and I'm sure your game would've been enlightening and educational.)

    When I first heard of your project, I was skeptical of your ability to draw hundreds, if not thousands, of individual frames. Your solution, to use moving cutouts, assuages these concerns. However, I'm not sure if you will be able to find free software so that you can manipulate those pieces digitally. Animation software is usually expensive, so I hope you can find something that's free and also fits your needs.

    I'm glad that you have a solid plan, and I wish you happy drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging feedback, Nathan. I knew that drawing hundreds of detailed frames would be extremely difficult due to time constraints, so I had to find a way around. I will not be manipulating the pieces digitally; instead, I will be using paper cutouts and moving them on a large background (a stationary scene drawn onto a piece of paper).

      Delete
  2. Hey Jason!

    Your art seems to be getting along nicely, and it is clear that your plans are solidifying. Your idea to draw cutouts instead of individual frames was quite clever. However, I was curious about the animation style you were going to be using. As it stands, it seems like a mix of the art style used in Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the animation style of Southpark will be used. Is this the case, or were you planning on something different for your animation style?

    This project looks very interesting, and I look forward to your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, South Park animation is a little crude; I'm going for some more detail in my animation. You'll see an example in my next blog post, which is coming soon.

      Delete